Each year and particularly in summer, various cultural events are planned and hosted by the Municipality of Anafi, the Cultural Association and the Association of Anafi’s Citizens, that organizes the event “Argonaftika”.
Every summer Anafi’s authorities host a traditional festival at Chora square, as well as folklore art and photography exhibitions.
Celebrations in Anafi country chapels are very important to the island’s inhabitants. All visitors are welcome to be part of the festivities. The island’s most important celebration is held at the Panagia Kalamiotissa Monastery on September 7th-8th. A very interesting religious ritual takes place two days prior to the celebration at the Zoodohis Pigis Monastery (September 8th). The icon of the Virgin Mary (Panagia) is carried by locals to the old Panagia Kalamiotissa Monastery where an all-night ceremony is held. The participants leave the monastery the next morning.
Other important festivals:
- Festival of Prophet Elias in Vrisi (July 20th)
- Festival of Aghios Panteleimonas in Vayia (July 27th)
- Festival of Panagia (Virgin Mary) in Chora August 15th
- Festival of Aghios Dimitrios in Mantourlo (October 27th)
- Festival of Aghios Antonios (January 17th)